Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Three Months Later...

Wow. I haven't posted in over three months. You'd think I was busy or something...

I never would have imagined back in May what was going to happen. And, in fact, it's just as well. Those whom I was honest with back in April and May knew that there was one place I did not want to end up at for the summer. And, much like ol' Jonah in the Old Testament, that one place was exactly where God sent me. Fortunately, unlike Jonah, it wasn't a bad place; it just wasn't where I wanted to be. For, you see, God made my plans fall apart, and in the end I found myself at home.

There were two reasons I wanted to avoid Florida. The first was the risk to the independence I had gained and learned to treasure during my time at RPI. Not independence to party wildly or do other various and sundry stupidity - that's not me. Rather, it was the freedom to determine my own schedule, to go where and when I wanted, to enjoy people, and to avoid people when I'd had enough. None of which really happens at home. Not that there's anything wrong or pushy with my family, but six people in one house makes the trampling of one's freedom a given. Plus, and I'll be completely honest, there was more than a little pride involved, too, that I was able to "make it" without my folks.

Beyond that, as previously stated, there were people too. RPI friends and church friends, all of whom I also love dearly. While I'd never attempt to denigrate familial love, there's something about love chosen that makes it much more compelling in everyday life. Maybe it's because the love of friends hasn't had nearly as long to solidify, so that it seems so much easier to lose. I don't know. What I do know, however, is that the only thing that still makes me unhappy about the situation is missing them as much as I do.

God has shown me, though, that He's had a plan. My Grandpa passed away last month, after fighting a losing battle in the hospital for a couple weeks. Had I been in Massachusetts, the whole thing would've been torture: even had I been able to get back and forth easily, I wouldn't have had the flexibility to take far more time off than a temp should to support my family. At home, working with my old boss, who's extremely good to me, it wasn't an issue. At all.

Beyond that, He's given me the chance to get some interesting things done at church. Things like actually participating in the eMinistries committee, learning more of the ins and outs of website work, continuing to try to get the website moving (almost there!), getting to know some people better, and exploring some new opportunities. Why I'm doing all of this here, and not helping to save a dieing church in Troy, I don't know.

He's also been working on the aforementioned pride, although I've still got some learning to do, based on the last sentence of the previous paragraph!

And, last but not least, He's been good to me with my friends. I haven't managed to keep up with all of them, but I've done a lot better than my usual number, which is ~0. AIM, GoogleTalk, and Skype are wonderful things. Blessings, in fact.

Oh, and believe it or not, I've used the telephone once or twice, and even snailmail. Rather low-tech, I admit, and I imagine there'll be some penance due for it when I return to RPI. Not sure what that would be, though. Maybe 39 lashes with a wet Cat5 cable?

Anyway, now comes the really fun part. Because, you see, I needed a co-op for the Fall. I tried to get back to Troy, and have ended up yet again - you guessed it - at home. I'm confident that God has a plan. And, knowing Him, it'll be amazing. All told, one never loses by following Christ's path.

"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 16:25 ESV) If life itself, then how much more the details of it!

Have fun!

No comments:




All content (c) 2005-09 Nathan I. Allen
Biblical quotes are from the English Standard Version, (c) 2001 by Crossway Bibles, unless otherwise noted

No sockpuppets were harmed in the making of this website.