Friday, December 22, 2006

A Poem

This appears to be an evening for poetry by the members of the Triumvirate (see here and here). Unfortunately, though, I'm not in a particularly poetic mood. So, rather than attempt to force one, I think I'll post one that I've previously composed.

Yes, my poem is devotional. Don't act so surprised!


The day was closing dark and dreary
The wind was howling, the rain, it poured.
Yet as I watched this, soft and slowly,
A song of praise came to the fore.
The song did nothing to the scen'ry,
It stayed as wretched as before,
But in my eyes, the darkened green'ry,
Was in that moment all transformed:
What had before been gath'ring gloom,
That all within its grasp would capture,
Was suddenly made to assume,
A portal to God's next adventure.

The song that worked this curious act,
Did not address the stormy weather -
Its power indeed was in the fact
That it ignored it altogether.
This song, it took no heed of hap'nings
It stayed the same through thick and thin,
Reminded me of brighter evenings,
And made my joy to surge within.

Oh Lord, You are forever constant,
You changeth not from year to year,
My life may change within an instant,
So precious Christ please hold me near.
And like a song which bears within
Light from outside my present view,
Be Thou to me a Heav'nly hymn,
Let all I see and hear be You!

No comments:




All content (c) 2005-09 Nathan I. Allen
Biblical quotes are from the English Standard Version, (c) 2001 by Crossway Bibles, unless otherwise noted

No sockpuppets were harmed in the making of this website.