Monday, March 05, 2007

Thoughts - John 10:10b - Introduction

“I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
John 10:10b

Misson. It's something I talk about a lot. And, with the load of management courses I'm taking right now, something I also hear a lot about. The concept of mission and vision is vitally important, because it directs and focuses one's efforts, making the difference between flailing about and accomplishing something. To me, at least, it's common and easy to think about mission in relation to businesses and churches. Lately, I've been toying with a mission for my life, too, although that's still a work in progress. In the midst of all this pondering, it came upon me that Jesus Himself had a stated mission for His foray on earth. It is, I believe, the verse quoted above.

If the Church is to be the body of Christ on earth, and Christians individually “little Christs” (the literal meaning of the term), it is of the utmost importance that we understand His mission. There are two important reasons for this: first, so that we can understand His point in the whole thing, and, second, so that we, as His followers, can continue it. So, what I want to do is break down and attempt to pick apart this brief statement, and hopefully in so doing provide a starting point for realizing these goals.

Because this has the makings of a long thought, I'm going to split it into several posts. Should make a bit simpler for you to read, and, actually, for me to write.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of posting lately – RPI has been claiming most of my writing. I'm going to try to get this whole series done over the current Spring Break, but we'll see how it goes.

No comments:




All content (c) 2005-09 Nathan I. Allen
Biblical quotes are from the English Standard Version, (c) 2001 by Crossway Bibles, unless otherwise noted

No sockpuppets were harmed in the making of this website.